Hi guys 🙂
This month’s update is a bit smaller then all the previous ones.
Given that Bloom art has finished and exam assignments are finally starting.
I took on a small job for a little mobile game.
After a month it was canceled though, but I can publish my work without any issues.
So here it is:
These were the first 4 sketches I did as a test.
And these were the first concept sketches.
After that, the project got canceled. This was actually my first paid job and I learned quite a lot from it.
Still prefer 3D more then actually concepting in 2D. I feel more comfortable doing something that I’m good at I guess.
I’ve been in quite a struggle these past few weeks about my overall 2D skills.
Not to mention I feel like my work is un-original in a few ways.
I guess this feeling is just normal for a lot of artists out there. I’m always amazed when I see something cool and original and wonder how they came up with it.
I’m happy my previous forest scene got so much positive feedback btw.
After that I tried making my works equally as good, but in the end they just seem to lack in my opinion.
Let’s hope my exams will at least make up for it.
As for Bloom:
This was the end result. I’m really not happy with it. I tried so many different ways to make it look better but it just didn’t seem to work.
The QA robot needed hands. As you can see, it now has this big body together with it’s head.
This was made by my colleague Neil. So in the end I guess you could consider this a collab of our stuff 😛
It was also made without any real concept art behind it, so I tried my best and also did my own design with the overpaint.
I took some style choices from the head and mixed them all up to get these hands. Not my best work, but not super bad either I guess.
So after I showed you guys the few design sketches I did for that character that represents me..
I ended up making another concept and went with that entirely.
I think I might’ve been looking too much at existing concept art, because it really ended up looking like this.
This whole month I’ve been doubting my work and skills so much, it’s really killing my creativity.
I hope it’ll be over soon, so I can continue improving in stead of taking a step back.
Phew, now that that’s out of the way.. I’ve recently installed some cool tools on my computer.
It’s called “Gradient Map” which you can find here.
and “RefBoard” with link.
Both are absolutely brilliant! I’ve used the Gradient Map in my previous character btw 😉
I’m also using Refboard to make moodboards and help me with previewing conceptart while I’m modeling it.
This is my current Rigging assignment where I’ve used Refboard btw:
The majority of my time this month went to a Level Scripting assignment.
I usually never end up showing anything related to that course because it’s just scripting really.
But now I have a few screenshots as well 😀
So here’s a WIP:
The assignment was to make an interactive level in Unity. Everything had to be scripted by myself.
So since the focus wasn’t on props or graphics, we didn’t have to make them ourselves.
The props I used were mostly the standard terrain assets from unity I found on the store.
The character is Red from the Super Smash Bros Brawl game. I found the model online and skinned it to a biped.
It was later used with the standard humanoid animations.
I’m actually quite proud of myself for being capable of scripting this. it has a standard MMO style camera that can be manipulated with the RMB so you can still click on the UI whenever it’s not pressed.
There’s a primitive inventory made with a list of items. Each has it’s own icon and name. If I was a programmer I’d made it so items could stack and be moved around.. but I’m simply not that good to make it in 1 week.
It was made over the Easter holiday as well.
I just couldn’t resist not putting in “Easter Eggs”.
Complete with a nudge animation and particles. Haha 😀
Here’s a few screenshots of the final visuals:
Because I’m still more of an artist in my course, I was also graded on the visuals.
I tried going for the same color pallet as this work from Exphrasis
I’m quite happy about the shadow colors. Even with the cold fog color it still matched pretty well.
And that’s about it for this month 🙂
My exam assignments in a nutshell:
– Rig a mechanical object. (FX & Rigging)
– Make a 3D scene that looks like a painting. (Game Graphics)
– Make another interactive level but then in UDK iso Unity. (Level Scripting)
I’ve got a few ideas for Game Graphics already and a puzzle with some Kismet scripting for Level Scripting.
The rigged object was the above mentioned one 😉
See you next time! (probably late June)